Thursday, April 10, 2008

New Armenian protest song.

I picked this up from Tzitzernak.

It is a very heart-felt, clear-sighted, and honest, not to mention completely informed, criticism of Kocharian, Inc. He's right about many things, but about this especially: that March 1st will never be forgotten. It is about the pain in the hearts of Armenians turning into intense anger, directed against the immediate perpetrators but, in the last instance, toward the ones who enabled those perpetrators. The last shot is of the globe: It blames international forces, ultimately. And he's right. This is a global problem. And this is a very astute Armenian fusion protest song. I love it. I came across it half an hour ago, and I've replayed it seven times already. Regretfully, I don't know the artists name, but maybe he doesn't want his name to be known, and under today's conditions in Armenia, who would blame him.

"Then you tell me, 'Don't curse,'
Why? Is my tongue tied?"

3 comments:

Onnik Krikorian said...

The singer-songwriter is identifiable in the video.

Armen Filadelfiatsi said...

His face appears in the video. Is that what you mean?

armenianamerica said...

I know this is an old post and late comment but I still think it's relevant a year later.

I stumbled on this video last year as well, along with many of the other videos and songs this artist has done. The artist and work is known as the Hayeli Project.

Here is an article I finished up last year about the Hayeli group, their work, and this video in specific. Let me know what you think:

http://armenianamerica.wordpress.com/armenian-art-culture/

[HayEli Project: Emergence of Armenian Political & Social Consciousness

By Andre Arzoo

“The HayEli Project is for every Hay person who is not afraid of reality and is willing to see themselves in a mirror. The Armenian People certainly deserve to know the truth. It is the truth that is going to set you free. This project is the art of telling the truth.”

The first time I heard about this group was back in 2007 when I accidentally came across their ‘Hayer’ music video on YouTube. Since then, I’ve been keeping pace with their album releases, ‘The love of my settlement, cut off from my fatherland’ – ‘Գաղութի սիրված, հայրենիքիս սյուռված’ and ‘Sapon’, and with their provocative yet unveiling music videos. The project is based on raising crucial questions and sparking much needed controversy about Armenian identity and Armenian issues, both inside the Republic of Armenia and the Diaspora, in today’s trying world where politics and everyday life have clouded such thought and questioning. HayEli project does an astounding job in challenging Armenian related social and economic questions that today’s generation faces, such as inter-racial marriage, the drive for self-enrichment and material gain, and the recent political crisis and turmoil in Armenia.]

my blog in general:

http://armenianamerica.wordpress.com/